Monday, April 24, 2023

Divide and Conquer - Volleyball


We made it through another weekend of volleyball. This was my least favorite weekend by far for a variety of reasons...

1. I caught a cold and was still recovering from traveling for 11 days the week prior

2. There was a TON of pressure on this tournament and you could feel it from the parents to the kids to everything. We even had officials arguing calls etc this round. So much pressure. 

3. Normally volleyball in Columbus isn't bad, but this time, it was bad. They had 26 courts shoved in two small convention sections - there was barely enough room to walk, let alone, teams getting ready, people trying to eat etc. Also, all they had for food was Subway. And premade Subway. I think after my 4th one, I was over it! Since it was so small, it was EXTREMELY loud in there, like rock concert loud.

4. Finally, the girls just fell apart. Maybe it was playing 3 weekends in a row and injuries that is killing our team, maybe the underlying rotation and position issues finally bubbling up... I don't know - but there were lots of tears (not by Heidi - others) - maybe some cussing and who knows. 

I ended up being in charge of the live stream which honestly wasn't so bad. It gave me something to do and let me be away from some negative parents. :) But I do have to say, since the venue was so small, I was hit with so many random volleyballs. So many. 

Lucy begged not to go to the tournament and I'm so happy they didn't come. Chris and Lucy stayed home and we spent our time exchanging photos and him telling me the live stream was crooked :) - but for the record - I was using their tripod that has been hit MANY times and was literally duct-taped together. You get what you get with the live stream!



Chris said the dogs were very stressed since we just got back home and Heidi and I were gone again.



Let's just say, Chris and Lucy had more fun this weekend...



Heidi received her medal from a few weeks back tournament - her first medal in volleyball. She has won before, but with her luck, it would be for a free shirt instead of a medal! 



The only pics I took before I became the live-stream person!



At least Heidi and I found some sushi of our own and some good tacos as well... 


Let's just say, there were no team hangouts or team dinners this weekend - we all went out separate ways.



Guess what - we have ANOTHER tournament this weekend but it is local - thank god. Chris and I said we will ham it up and try to make it fun for everyone. This season is almost done!